- This event has passed.
Towards Affordable Terminals: Ironing Out Cost Challenges to Provide High-speed Connectivity
November 16, 2021 UTC-7
Tuesday, November 16th at Space Tech Expo Europe 2021
Terminals play a key role in the future of onboard connectivity. There is tremendous development on flat panel and phased array antennas, which will ultimately provide faster latency and connectivity and enhance passenger and crew experience.
However, terminal installation is expensive and does not prove to be cost-effective for many airlines and ship owners. The certification process for new terminals, as well as lifecycle operations, maintenance and repair come at a high price – most costs tend to fall to airlines and ship owners.
End-users would need to sell many tickets to pay back the mechanical engineering on vessels and aircraft to justify the solution. Fleet owners would also need to decide on type of antenna for several years – once installed it is not easy to switch.
Discussion topics include:
- The cost of antennas and terminals remains high – what can industry do to make this more cost-effective?
- Certification, installation, life cycle operations, maintenance and repair
- The latest on terminal architecture and solutions: multi-beam, phased array, flat panel and developments on high bandwidth/low latency solutions
- How to decide on a terminal for future use and making sure its technology remains feasible 5-10 years down the line?
- Matteo Berioli, Senior Director Connectivity, SAFRAN Passenger Innovations
- Jan Hetland, Director, Data Services Division, Telenor Satellite
- Randall Barney, Director of Certification & Membership, World Teleport Association (moderator)