- This event has passed.
SSPI-WISE – Women in Space Engagement!
October 28 UTC-7
SSPI-WISE is a group that welcomes all women members from the space & satellite industry. We meet once per month, usually on Zoom, to discuss goals, plan new events and, of course, have fun!
The next SSPI-WISE meeting is on October 28, 2021, @ 11 AM EDT
11 AM EDT | 8 AM PDT | 4 PM BST & WAT | 5 PM CEST | 7 PM GST | 8:30 PM IST | 12:00 AM +1 JST
On December 16, 2020, women from throughout our industry gathered at the kickoff cocktail hour for a new Space & Satellite Women’s group within SSPI. The initial discussion centered around the question of a name. We had a number of suggestions, such as “Women’s Space Odyssey,” “Space & Satellite Women” and “Women in Space.” This last one led naturally to “WISE” which stands for “Women in Space Engagement.” #SSPI-WISE.
- Engaging women in the space and satellite industry through STEM outreach, structured mentor programs and partnerships with other women’s groups
- Elevating the profile of women in the industry by encouraging balance on conference panels, recognizing companies that actively promote women, profiling women through social and other media and encouraging nomination of women for awards, including the Hall of Fame, 20 Under 35 and Mentor of the Year SSPI awards
- Networking and social media campaigns to spread the word about SSPI-WISE and make sure all women in the industry, from young professionals to women in the midst of long careers have a chance to participate and contribute
SSPI-WISE now has online working groups set up for each of our main goals to let members connect and make progress on projects. Each working group is accessible to any woman member of SSPI:
- STEM Outreach: Aiming to engage more women in the space & satellite industry through coordinated STEM outreach and partnerships with other groups
- Social Media: Working to spread the word about SSPI-WISE and make sure all women in the industry have a chance to participate and contribute
- Elevating Women: Encouraging balance on conference panels, recognizing companies that actively promote women, profiling women through social and other media and encouraging nomination of women for awards, including the Hall of Fame, 20 Under 35 and Mentor of the Year SSPI awards
- Networking and Swag: Engaging women from throughout the industry through social media and live and online events
- Mentorship: Working to develop structured mentorship programs to assist women attempting to enter and thrive in the industry
*Working Groups are open to women members of SSPI only. For the inaugural year, any woman who wishes to serve on SSPI-WISE Working Groups may email Tamara Bond-Williams for complimentary membership and working group assignment.