The Q4 2020 Space Investment Quarterly is now available… key highlights from the report include…
- With another $5.7B invested into 80 space companies in Q4, there has now been $177.7B of equity investment into 1,343 unique companies in the space economy over the past 10 years, with $25.6B invested in 2020.
- Despite wide expectations of investor pullback in H1, VCs invested another $15.7B into 252 space companies in 2020, of which $9.4B went to U.S. companies, representing 6% of the $156.2B in total venture dollars invested during the year, according to data from Pitchbook and NVCA.
- While many expected Infrastructure to be the hardest hit by the pandemic, 2020 turned out to be a record year for investment in this layer of the stack with $8.9B invested.
- The trend toward larger, late-stage deals set a new record with $19.8B invested in Late Stage/Other rounds in 2020. Overall, investment in the top 10 companies account for $16.5B (or 64%) of total space investment in the year. While the total number of rounds was down, early-stage rounds remained healthy, accounting for 211 rounds (or 59%) of all rounds completed in the year.
- Investors liquidated $37.5B of value in 43 space company exits in 2020, accounting for 16% of the total value liquidated in the space economy over the last 10 years.